Friday, October 14, 2011

Birthday Star

Today is my Birthday! So I thought I would write a birthday themed ADYK. I came across this cute website that finds your birthday star. The link is here. Now I didn't check it's scientific accuracy, but regardless it's a neat application. All you have to do is tell the program your birthday (month, day and year), and it will give you the name, coordinates and some information about a star whose distance in light years is close to your current age. Remember a light year is the distance light can travel in one year. So if a star is ten light years away, the light that you see tonight is actually ten years old. It's the light that star emitted 10 years ago, and it took that long to reach us here on Earth. So what's special about this birthday star? Well if the star is as far away in light years as your current age, then the light you are seeing from that star today was emitted on the exact day you were born! It's almost like looking back in time at what the universe looked like on the day of your birth. Below is my birthday star for today. Try it out, it's pretty cool!