Friday, March 4, 2011

Earth From Mars

In keeping with the "you are here and you're really small" theme, I thought I'd show one of my favorite pictures of all time.


This is an image take by the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit just before sunrise on the planet Mars. Spirit is a robotic instrument that has been doing science and taking pictures on Mars since January 2004. That little white spec that's enlarged in the inset image is Earth. (I swear I'm not pulling your leg, it's really Earth!) . We look just like a star in the night sky from Mars' perspective, just like Mars looks like a little red dot from Earth.

Now how tiny do you really feel?

Next Topic: Our Sun (I promise this will be a more upbeat one, no more feeling itty bitty!)

Image credit: NASA Goddard Photo and Video's photostream, flickr